Monday 16 March 2020

March 15, 2020

As we embark on the unknown in the days and weeks to come, I wanted to take a minute to ask everyone, “how are you doing?” It’s a simple question; one we ask our friends and neighbors every day, but it has so much more weight now. How are you doing? Besides being a favorite quote from Joey on Friends, we can reflect on how much that really means today. Just two weeks ago, my biggest worry was about my little store, and how we were going to make it in an increasingly online world. Now, it’s largely moot. My store sits empty, and yet I find myself wondering about my family, friends and neighbors, and who will help protect them from illness or care for them if they get sick. What if I get sick? What about my staff? With so many unknowns, everything was brought into focus very quickly for me. It’s a primal feeling, in your bones! Protect the ones you love. The world can wait a little. Nothing is more important than those you care about. So, I closed the store from in-store shoppers and have gone to a pick-up/delivery only model. And I could see the relief on my worker’s faces. I could hear it in their voices. A worker should never have to choose between having a job and being safe. So, how is everyone around you doing? Earlier today, I shared a beautiful story about a woman who completed an elderly couple’s grocery shopping for them. It was simply too dangerous for them to be out in the shopping rush. She didn’t know these people, and they didn’t know her. They just waited until they saw someone with a kind face and trusted her with their list and a hundred dollar bill. It is an extraordinary example of community spirit and trust in humanity. I wondered, how are all of the more vulnerable people doing in my life? It just takes a minute to make that call, and check in on extended family members. Ask if they have everything they need; if they need help; if they have the resources to pay for what they need. If you are sick, stay home. If you have been around someone who is sick, stay home. If you have recently traveled, stay home. The world can wait a little. But, for those who are well; for those who are able; it is time for our community to show what we can do together, even in the face of fear and uncertainty. Just take a moment to think about your reaction this week, when we all saw the empty shelves at the supermarkets. Now, try to imagine how afraid you would be if you didn’t know where your child’s next meal might come from, if the food banks also had bare shelves. How are the less fortunate doing? We started a campaign last week, to bring in non-perishable goods for the food bank. I realize that people are afraid and isolated at the moment, but we are still here to collect them. Our staff will be happy to greet you at the back doors with masks on, to collect your donations, even if you don’t need to shop at our store. If you do need anything, we can take your order by phone and are offering a 5% discount for anyone who donates to the Food Bank. Yesterday, my staff and I went and filled a cart with needed items at the grocery store. Can we double that, together?
-Carla
You can reach us at Baby Charlotte to donate by phone 519-570-0648,
or on our Facebook page: Baby Charlotte Canada Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment