Saturday 28 March 2020

March 22, 2020

I’ll tell you a little story about the song I posted yesterday. I wrote it when my little sister was in a coma, years ago. The doctors had tried to prepare us for a bad outcome, and I was feeling rather lost. So, I just sat with her and kept saying, “Everything’s gonna be okay. Everything’s gonna be okay.” And then the song just sort of wrote itself.
I went home to shower and change, and while I was there, it came to me. I recorded it on my laptop with a little microphone. And, you can probably hear that I had been crying. And even though I’m a little out of tune and out of time, and I can’t say my n’s, it means so much to me because it’s not perfect. Nothing was at that moment. It was heartfelt; like a small prayer, somehow. I drove back to Toronto, sat at her side and sang it to her over and over. I’m sure the nurses were driven crazy by me! And, after a long night, I went to the hotel where my parents were and slept while they went to be with her. After a few hours, they called and woke me up with incredible news. She was waking up! And when she did, she asked the nurses, “Who was singing to me?” Now, she is doing well, and this is one of her favorite songs to listen to; stuffy nose and all. So, a doctor can tell you a patient can’t hear you. A situation can seem so very bleak, and the future, without hope. But I choose to believe that we will come through this, even better than before. We have been reminded of our humanity. We will be a little kinder; a little more patient with each other. A little more mindful of what we have. -Carla

No comments:

Post a Comment