Saturday 28 March 2020

March 23, 2020

As the city around us slows down, and only the last few people are rushing to acquire what they need for a long and not-so-quiet rest (that is if you have little ones), I can’t help but think of our parents and grandparents who are isolated now. I’m sure, like me, you may be asking yourself, “Did I buy enough?” Yes, you most likely did, as evidenced by last week's grocery receipts. “What if I forgot something?” In most cases, it’s probably okay. “What if they need help? Here’s where my idea comes in. What if everyone stayed home for two weeks, and, if they are well, called their neighbors and asked? That way, we could all take care of each other. A simple question, “do you need anything?”, is all it takes. Remember your elderly neighbors. Share the milk or eggs you have, if you can. A little milk goes a long way to a family with little ones who love their cereal. Let’s take care of each other. Be sure to keep a safe distance, and to wipe down any packages or groceries you receive. Remember to stay safe. Wouldn’t you hope that your parents or grandparent’s neighbors would look out for them if you couldn’t? Not everyone has family nearby. If we all just make our neighbors a part of our family in a way, we can get through this. No more trips to stores, including mine, unless unavoidable. I understand, if a little one has a rash or if a new mama needs postpartum or breastfeeding products. Order delivery, wherever possible. Let’s flatten that curve, and save ourselves and our loved ones. My part-time staff has been laid off, sent to wait this out, safe in their own homes, and I am glad for that. I had the opportunity to keep them on, busying ourselves with other work around the shop. But, when I asked them to tell me, honestly, if they were afraid, the answer was, “yes”. And that was all the answer I needed. I miss them terribly. They have become my friends, too; not just employees. I can’t wait to have them back with us again! Tom and I will be handling the deliveries and new pickup measures ourselves. Scott, who is like family, will be answering phones, and won’t be answering the door anymore. It’s our business, and we have no business asking anyone else to put themselves at risk, as this pandemic worsens. I’ll still be here, on Facebook, to connect with you. And I will be at Baby Charlotte to answer calls and pack delivery orders on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, as long as the government allows us to. But, if you do need something and can’t have it delivered because you’re in an apartment, we will meet you outside our back door with your package. It isn’t my intent to alarm anyone, But it’s in our community now. I’ve already lost one friend. I couldn’t bear to lose another. I love all of you, and can not wait until I can see you and your little ones again. -Carla

No comments:

Post a Comment